Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Too many treasures on earth

Good Morning Friends!  Today, Tuesday, this day our Lord made for us!  Let’s get happy and rejoice in all HE does for us!  This morning my bible reading took me to Matthew 6:19-21….Jesus is teaching and tells the people, “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”   Oh boy, this really hit me, as it pains me to admit, I am a bit of a hoarder….well of sorts, I don’t buy things, but I am so sentimental I just feel the need to keep everything….everything that was ever given to me or to someone I love and left to me, or used by someone I love….heck I have flowers in my mom’s old metal enema can…..yes I am serious!  And then there are the things that I might be able to use someday for a craft, at home with grandkids or at Sunday School with my other kids….did you know you can make really cool chains out of empty adding-machine paper rolls, and angels out of soda cans and you should see what you can do with paper towel rolls!  It’s amazing!  Last Sunday the kids were playing charades, one boy was trying to get them to guess he was one of the old testament kings.  He said, “Ms. Kathie I need to see you in your room.”  The room you see is where we store all of our “things.”  I went in with him and he told me he needed that old Burger King crown….My heart sank; I had kept that crown for years to use at Christmas, etc. until just a couple of weeks ago.  You see, my teachers and I were cleaning up, they not being the collectors that I am are always trying to get me to let go of some “things”  things that I always insist we might be able to use at some point and time.  Well, you have probably guessed, I was convinced to let the Burger King crown go….now Jacob needed it and it was gone!  I was devastated…he needed it and I had gotten rid of it….Dang it!!!  Thank heavens Jacob wasn’t as devastated as me; actually he just got creative with his hands and in just a short time they had guessed who he was….OK, so after reading Matthew this morning, I am thinking differently about what happened on Sunday.  The crown was old, battered, and replaceable…and Jacob just reached into his mind and figured out what to do, used his imagination which is always a good thing for kids, so I guess good stuff came from the purge…..Maybe I am storing up too many treasures on earth…..maybe it’s time for me to let go of some “things” and spend more time storing up treasures in heaven.  How many times do our things distract us from time with our Father, prayer, helping others (treasures in heaven)…..keep sakes are good, no one will ever convince me otherwise….it’s the place they hold that’s the problem…Father, forgive me when my treasures take away from my life with YOU!  You are my all in all!  Help me to let go not only of my things, but of my worries and fears….help me to let go and LET YOU!
 
Therefore I tell  you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear.  Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?.....But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own…..(give it to HIM).  Matthew 6:31-34.  I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.  Philippians 4:13. 
Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment