Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The gardens of our faith

Good Morning Friends!  Wise and Wonderful Wednesday, loved by HIM!    One of the first things I do each morning when I get to work is tare off yesterday and look at today on my daily calendar; each day has a bible verse.  A couple days ago, the verse was from Genesis 1:29….”Then God said, ‘I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it.  They will be yours for food.’ “   At first glance, I didn’t think too much about it, I paused and said a thank you for my food each day…..and then later as I read it again….it made me think of a garden.  Have you noticed how gardens are just popping up all over….in backyards in town and in the country wow, some great big ones!  Kim and I haven’t planted a garden ourselves in the last few years, but Cooper and Katy’s mom and dad are gardeners extrodinaire!!  Lucky for us, they share!  I can hardly wait for that first, plumb, red-garden tomato…bring on the bacon.  Cooper has already brought us yummy radishes and lettuce, a friend at work has shared lettuce too, and a friend at church brought me fresh onions and cabbage…all from their gardens!  Gardens are a blessing and when shared, a true blessing to the receiver!  The more I pondered this verse, anticipating all the wonderful, fresh veggies to come my way, I couldn’t help but think about all the work that goes into producing a good garden!  Tending a garden is no small feat, it takes a lot of time and dedication, but oh the benefits are awesome!  Wouldn’t you agree?  Well, all this gardening got me to thinking about some more of God’s word from Galatians 5:22-23….”But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Against such things there is no law.”   The gardens growing in our neighborhoods are not the only gardens that need to be tended…..the gardens of our faith….the gardens that should produce the “fruits of the Spirit” need lots of attention in order for us to do our Father’s will and give glory to HIM through our words and deeds.  We need to “weed” out envy, greed, in-tolerance, gossip; we need to “irrigate” our faith with God’s word, prayer, Christian fellowship; we need to spray to “kill” ugly thoughts, grudges, laziness, lack of empathy.  We cannot produce the God’s fruits on our own…we need HIS help to guide us and feed us….but when we come to HIM through His word and prayer, taking time to “tend” our faith we can produce “fruits” words, thoughts, and actions that help others…actions that give HIM glory!  Help us Father to be the best “gardeners” we can be, draw us to you daily to be fed.  And Father thank you for friends and neighbors that share with us!  “Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.  Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.  Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.”  Galatians 5:24-26.
Be kind and compassionate to one another.  Ephesians 4:32.
Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment