Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Splinters

Good Morning Friends!  Kim and I heat our old house with wood and this winter, my goodness we have really gone through the wood!  And to top it off, this year’s wood  seems more splintery than usual....in that I mean, I have had way more splinters than usual!!!!  The other night a sharp, throbbing pain in my little finger woke me from a deep sleep.  Yes, the pain was so great that it woke me up….the cause of the pain….an itty bitty, teeny tiny splinter…..so tiny in fact that I could hardly see it, but the pain was a guarantee it was hiding there!  Hard to believe that anything that small could cause so much pain!  Lying in my bed, in the quiet of the night, I knew that Kim would remove the splinter in the morning and the pain would be gone….but something kept nagging at me about such a tiny thing causing so much pain.  Oh my…..tiny things….a hastily spoken, less than kind word, a quick snap at a friend who needed to vent, too busy  to listen to your child just home from school and upset…..tiny things right????  In the quiet of the night I felt a heavy sadness come over me as my mind filled with “tiny things” that I had said or done, things that seemed to me inconsequential….tiny things that very well could have caused pain, intense pain to the receiver of my actions…..I often talk about the “tiny things” we can do to bring joy to others and that’s a good thing, but we sure do need to pay attention to “tiny things” no matter how small they may seem to us, that might inflict pain on others in lives….Kim did indeed remove my tiny splinter in the morning and the pain was gone…..but internal hurts are often not so easily removed…..Father, we don’t mean to hurt others, we are just so often selfish with our time and actions…..Father we are so thankful we can come to You to have our unkind acts forgiven.  Help us to know when we have hurt others with the tiniest little thing and give us wisdom to remove the pain with loving actions inspired by Your love for us.
 
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your moths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.  Ephesians 4:29.  Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.  Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.  Galatians 6:10.  As God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Colossians 3:12.  When the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy.  Titus 3:4-5.  How good is a timely word!  Proverbs 15 :23.  Out of the overflow of the heart the  mouth speaks. (what’s in your heart?)  Matthew 12:34. 
Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment