Monday, February 8, 2016

Growing towards the Light

Good Morning Friends!  Mighty and Marvelous is our God, Monday!  A couple of weeks after Christmas we put all the decorations away at church.  Someone had donated quite a few poinsettia plants, but didn’t want to take them home, so they were up for grabs.  I had wanted one for my office at work, but Kim and I were going to be out of town for the whole week, so I didn’t think I should take one.  One friend was pretty persistent that I take one, so I finally told her why I was so hesitant.  She said so what, just take it home, water it, and it will be fine; take it to work when you get back.  So I did….now February 8, it is still beautiful!  It’s beauty is amazing, but what I have really noticed about it is that it grows to the light.  I have it on a coffee table in our lobby, we have big double glass doors, so there’s lots of natural light.  When I put the flowering plant on the table it was straight….but in a week or so, it seemed like it was leaning towards the glass doors….the light.  I didn’t say anything, but just kept watching it pointing to the light. I kind of wondered if it was just me imagining, until a co-worker said to me, “Looks to me like the poinsettia is growing towards the light.”  Wow, I wasn’t imaging it, the beautiful flower is growing towards the light!  We made the joint decision to turn it around and see what happens.  I turned it, so that it was leaning towards me, rather than the light of the doors….It’s been less than a week….the flowering plant is now upright again, with just the slightest lean towards the light….I would say in just a day or two it will once again been leaning….towards the light.  WOW!!  All week I have pondered this plant…smart plant!  As I sit at my desk, admiring yet another beauty of God’s creation, I cannot help but think that I need to take a lesson from it….I too need to grow towards the LIGHT.  The LIGHT of the world….Jesus our loving Savior….our LIGHT and our LIFE…..He tells us in John 8…..”I am the LIGHT of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”  I don’t know about you, but that sounds like a good way to go!  Father, help us to grow to the LIGHT of the WORLD Your SON our SAVIOR.  Nourish us with light of Your word, so that we grow strong, ever faithful.
 
The Lord is my light and my salvation whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?  Psalm 27:1.  “Arise shine, for your Light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you.  See, darkness cover the earth and thick darkness is of the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and His glory appears over you.  Isaiah 60:1.  Your word is a LIGHT to my feet and Light for my path.  Psalm 119:105.  This is the message we have heard from Him and declare to you:  God is LIGHT; in Him there is no darkness at all.  If we claim to have fellowship with Him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth.  But if we walk in the light, as He is the LIGHT, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His son, purifies us from all sin.  1 John 5: 5-7.  “…God is LOVE.”  1 John 4:8.
Love you all!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment