Friday, January 25, 2013

January 25, 2013

Good Morning Friends!  Faithfully, firmly following HIM Friday!  “The Lord is my Shepherd…...”  Everyone recognizes the first line of the 23rd Psalm and most likely this awesome Psalm stirs things deep in each of us.  For me…..well, since Kim and I have been raising sheep, our Good Shepherd has taken on a most intimate meaning to me.  Last Friday, most of our 200 plus sheep and their lambs found a hole in a fence and decided to change pastures….without permission mind you!  Well, they couldn’t just go somewhere and mind their own business, NO….they had to go right to the pasture with our cows and their calves.  Now, this might not seem like a problem to some of you, but it makes it nearly impossible to feed…..The sheep, greedy girls, want all the food…..and it’s important that the cows and sheep get the proper amount…..Kim works hard to make sure that they are fed properly…..getting the nutrients that they need….not what they think they need.  Well, on Saturday Kim asked me to help him get the sheep out of the cows pasture.  While he got the four wheeler to herd them up I walked through some isolated spots that a few wayward ewes had found themselves….I walked them out of the pen and down the alley way out into the pasture.  Kim was going to herd them all up and move them through an open gate into another pasture.  The gate was right next to the alley way which has no gate……So, if you know sheep at all, you can just imagine how easily they might veer off the path to the open gate and head towards the alley way which would not be a good thing!  My job as my little red-headed shepherd’s helper was to keep them out of the ally way.  Now that might seem simple to most of you, but not the case with sheep….Oh no, one must be very careful in the process; if I stood too close to the gate they would head in an entirely different direction….most likely scatter and have to be herded again (that does not make a red-headed shepherd happy), but if I stood to far back they could get in and run me down…..being a shepherd is not all it’s cracked up to be……a tough job at times.  I finally decided to crotch down in the alley way and sit real still……I watched as Kim veered back and forth gathering them, making sure no one was left behind…..a couple of times he had to stop and pick up a lamb that had lost its mommy or couldn’t keep up……he was patient but firm with his special “Yip, Yip, Yip” gathering call…..as I sat there, enjoying the nice morning, my thoughts turned to the 23rd Paslm….to our Good Shepherd…….Oh gosh, we sure do make it difficult for HIM at times….how often we head through the holes of sin wandering into “pastures” that are not good for us…..where we might mingle with people that are not good for us, head down alley ways of self-destruction, depression, greed…..like the lambs we can’t keep up….could be left behind in our sin…..but our Good Shepherd, is patient yet firm with us…..He guides through the right gates and leads us to safe pasture…..If the sheep will listen to Kim’s “yips” he will lead them to safety and provide them with everything they need…….Hmmm, oh my……..just like us…..if we will just listen to our Good Shepherd…..He will take care of us…..provide us with everything we need……and He’s always there with open arms to pick us up when we can’t keep up…..to comfort us, love us, forgive us….Thank you Father for never giving up on us.

Jesus said, “ I am the Good Shepherd.  The Good Shepherd lays down His life the sheep…..I am the Good Shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me."  John 10:11 & 14. He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul.  He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort them.  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.  You anoint my head with oil; Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.  Psalm 23
Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment